Following a judicial clerkship for the Honorable Richard A. Schell of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, Sherman Division, Jodie entered private practice in Dallas where she has established a track record of success in a wide variety of legal matters.
Jodie’s trial practice includes representations in federal and state courts involving commercial disputes, bankruptcy litigation, intellectual property disputes, consumer disputes, and labor and employment matters. Jodie also regularly counsels clients on how to resolve matters outside of court.
- Defended the trademark rights of a fashion watch designer against infringement by a major retailer.
- Represented business owner in trademark dispute with co-owner of trademark.
- Represented numerous clients in contract disputes involving leases, software licensing agreements, employment agreements, and many other types of agreements.
- Defended clients against civil RICO and fraud claims.
- Represented various clients with claims of unfair competition and requests for injunctive relief.
- Represented banking clients and borrowers in disputes involving alleged breaches of promissory notes and loan agreements.
- Represented bankruptcy trustee in bankruptcy adversary proceedings against former corporate officers and directors in litigation involving breaches of their fiduciary obligations.
- Assisted an investor who was defrauded in a Ponzi Scheme with intervention in a receivership proceeding for purposes of objecting to a settlement proposed by the Receiver.
- Represented borrower in dispute with his mortgage company, successfully obtaining injunctive relief to enable the borrower to retain his home and avoid foreclosure.
- Worked with out-of-state clients and counsel on obtaining discovery and pursuing collection of judgments in Texas.
- Appointed by the court as trial counsel to pro se party in civil rights case in the Eastern District of Texas.
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D.
- University of Virginia, B.A.
- Texas Rising Stars, Texas Monthly / Thomson Reuters, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Fellow, Dallas Bar Foundation
- Fellow, Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Foundation
- Attorneys Serving the Community
- Higginbotham Inn of Court, Barrister (2013-2016)
- The Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill and Multidistrict Litigation: What to Expect, What Remains Unknown.
Co-authored with Brant C. Martin.
Westlaw Journal, Vol. 31, Issue 3, September 1, 2010, discussing pretrial consolidation of litigation stemming from the Deepwater Horizon oil disaster.
- WEST BANKRUPTCY CHAPTER. Contributor for post-confirmation litigation section.
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Court, Southern District of Texas
- United States District Court, District of Colorado